5/11/07

Deep Thoughts from the Shallow End...(PSALM 107)


PSALM 107


Psalm 107:2 "Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out!
Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies."

Alright, I have been silent long enough. I love posting stuff about Whitaker, but I've got something on my mind and I can't keep it to myself anymore.

I read Psalm 107 this morning and my whole day has been wrecked since then. And since I have been redeemed then I decided that I better speak out and tell others about it. You happen to fall into the "others" category today.

Verses 4-9 say:
"Some wandered in the wilderness, lost and homeless. Hungry and thirsty, they nearly died. “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress. He led them straight to safety, to a city where they could live. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

I read these scriptures this morning and I had one thought that I haven't been able to shake all day. I thought to myself, "You know after these people cried out to God I wondered who He used to 'rescue them from their distress. I wonder who it was that God allowed to see their signal flare from their place of desperation. I wonder who God used to answer their prayer."

I don't know if I could quantify it, but reading this scripture made me wonder how many distress calls he's allowed me to see that I have either missed or ignored or been to busy for and how many people I could have "led to safety" or "pulled out of the pit of despair". I wondered how many people could have been "praising the Lord" or "found satisfaction" in Him alone. I wondered if I missed it yesterday when the homeless guy pushing his dog around in a "borrowed" grocery cart came walking up to the store I was in. I wonder if he needed rescue. I don't know, but I'm thankful that God didn't help me keep count of all this misses I've had. Isn't it funny... it's easy to count the wins and even easier to forget the loses.

I don't know where you are right now, but I know that where ever you are that we as followers of Christ are called to be this for God's children. Whether that child is 8 years old and lives in our house, 18 and in our highschool or 80 years old and living under a bridge, we are called to be Gods life preserver. Called to rescue his kids from distress.

So, what do we do? Well, here's what I did. I prayed and asked Him to forgive me for my moments of ignorance and selfishness and I asked Him to never let me miss another distress signal from those around me. I asked Him to help me to give what I've got to those who ask whether I think that they are going to buy liquor or not. I asked Him to change my heart instead of trying to control what other people do for themselves. I asked Him to help me focus on fixing my own heart instead of judging others.

I begged Him to allow me more opportunities to see people who need help and to have the courage, compassion, and love to give it to them. Whether in a dollar bill, a cheeseburger, or emptying a sink full of dirty dishes.

PSALM 107:8-9 "Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

tt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys tall are the greastest pastors ever!!


love Macy Varnado

Debra said...

An awesome Word, Tyler. An anointed man of God you are! Love you, Aunt Debra